With the opening of the design studio Sonleuk Thmey in 2009, Phare Ponleu Selpak incorporated education on graphic design into its art classes in Battambang. Today, in the Visual and Applied Arts School, Graphic Design is part of the curriculum of the preparatory course, and is a main discipline within the Vocational Education and Technical Training.
- Children 16 and over
- A one year course for students interested in enrolling in the vocational training program
- Classes are offered in the mornings and evenings
- Courses include: model, art expression, art history, color documentary, illustration, drawing, and perspective
Vocational Education & Technical Training
This three-year course allows students wishing to become professional artists to gain the knowledge, skills, and experience needed to find employment in the arts industry. Students can choose from one of three disciplines: visual arts, graphic design, and animation. The graphic design curriculum is as follows:
- Multidisciplinary year, where students take courses in all three disciplines, alongside a core curriculum
- Core curriculum includes: model, writing, volume, perspective, Khmer art, art history, color/painting/illustration and photo/video.
- Introduction to Graphic Design is taught in year one, encompassing the basics of Adobe photoshop, indesign, and illustrator.
- Students choose their specialization of visual art, graphic design, or animation.
- Common Core: illustration, communication, photoshop, character design, layout, art history, photography, video, color technique, model structure, English
- Graphic Design Specialization: Illustrator, Packaging and Labelling, Indesign, Typography
- Students complete a two-month internship related to their specialty between year 2 and 3
- First trimester: students follow specialized lessons on skills required for their chosen discipline. Research also begins at this time.
- Trimester 2 & 3: working with a staff mentor, students complete their own personal projects.
The graphic design course at VAAS has quickly become one of the most popular programs on the Phare Ponleu Selpak Campus in Battambang. Graduates of this course have gone on to be successful freelance designers, in house designers, and teachers around Cambodia. Graduates can also find employment with Phare’s newest social enterprise: Phare Creative Studio.